Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cabin

I have a love affair with the cabin, it is such a place of beauty, tranquility, and peace. I don't think I've ever felt ready to leave, even after our latest 8 day escapade. On day 7 (the day we planned to leave) Henry and Ruby came to wake me up and Hen whispered in my ear "Becca we're snowed in, we aren't leaving until tomorrow." It was like Christmas morning all over again. Bliss pure and simple.

Initially the cabin was my dad's dream, he was so particular about the location, design, materials used in design, etc... Now that the hard work is over (at least for the most part) it has become a part of all of our dreams. Why is the cabin so special you ask? Let me try to explain, my dad is a social butterfly much like his mother, therefore he has lots of friends.  When he found this property (which took years) he somehow talked a handful of his friends into buying property surrounding the property he bought. Out of all of these friends only one planned on building a cabin, the others did so strictly for an investment. My dad wanted his cabin to be secluded, done and done. The area is serene and has a beautiful view of the Tetons. It is the perfect place to lose touch with reality and get your priorities in order -- minimal phone reception, no internet, no T.V. (just a T.V. and DVD player for movies). You would think in our fast paced, technology ruled world you would miss those things but I never do, it's refreshing to be without those things. I don't have to check my e-mail, return phone calls, catch up on my shows, or text and it feels so good. Instead, cabin days are filled with delicious food, good conversation, naps, walks, cross country skiing, fishing, reading, writing, games, elevensies, movies, playing with my nieces and nephews, sitting by the fire, tubing, ping pong, sledding, taking pictures, and reminiscing. It's the perfect place to remind you of what is truly important in this life and it's not internet, T.V., or cell phones.












Love affair with the cabin = completely justified.

7 comments:

Haley said...

Oh my gosh. That picture of you, kate, rub and hen around the table...melt me. MELT ME.

Gorgeous pics! And i totally agree...I haven't had my phone today and I feel like a trillion bucks. Bring on the 1800's man, I'm ready to lose touch.

Except let's please blog forever.

Malerie said...

love it.
i'll tell Nate about the cabin all the time.
we have some great memories from there... too bad my Dad never built. :(

Celia said...

I second the love affair.

Bring it President's Day!

Ally Cat said...

This is great but I want a new post.

bunkbuddies said...

Cabin? Yes, please!!

Anonymous said...

Tell Kate, she doesn't work and for some reason she can't find time to blog. Lameo!
-Beckles

Angie Williams said...

I miss the cabin. We need to convince our parents to plan a combined trip

Rgpapa