Sunday, March 10, 2013

Remembering...



Do you ever smell a certain scent and suddenly you're thrown into a memory from years earlier? It seems to happen so fast and without any consent from my brain at all. One minute I'm walking, completely aware of my surroundings and the next minute my mind is somewhere else and I'm consumed by a memory. This doesn't happen very often but when it does it usually leaves me feeling nostalgic and a little sad.

The other morning I walked out my door and was instantly consumed by the smell of coffee. It smelled so good, I stopped walking for a minute and just enjoyed my deep breaths. I closed my eyes for just a moment and I was enveloped in a memory from years ago. I was at my grandparent's home in Washington D.C. sitting up to their bar with my feet dangling 3 feet from the floor. I was a tiny girl with wild bed head and was trying hard to rub the sleep from my eyes as I watched the 8" television on the counter. My grandma was working her magic in the kitchen and the smell of coffee was permeating throughout the entire house. As my memory started to fade and I opened my eyes I had a smile on my face. I would give anything to be back in that house sitting up to that bar, but in a world where age is constantly slashing away at us it's impossible. My grandpa is gone and my grandma is not who she once was. It's moments like these where perspective is everything, instead of being sad you have to choose to be grateful. I'm grateful for the memories and especially for the people who helped make the memories.

Thanks coffee drinking neighbors, I guess you can stay a little longer.

No comments: