Monday, August 4, 2008

1 Year



A lot can change in a year; a month; a week; a day. A lot can change in a moment.  

One year ago today, a lot changed for me. When I say a lot, I mean everything. One year ago today, we lost Seth Cody Fraughton. 

I can't believe its been a year. Its been the longest and shortest year of my life. I can't believe I haven't seen Seth for a year. In some ways it seems like I was with him yesterday, and in some ways it seems like it's been years. It's amazing how much I remember about him and how much I am already struggling to grasp. It makes me want to write down everything so I'll never forget. But I would never stop writing. 

Seth was my best friend. He was the most loyal, kind, and humble person I've ever known. He could make me laugh like no one else on Earth. When I was with him, I felt like the best version of myself. He made me want to be better. 

I am so full of emotion today that it is hard to express myself through words. I can't adequately explain what Seth meant to me, and how much the world lost when Seth left it. It brings me a source of comfort knowing that he is watching over us and that I will see him again. But it doesn't dismiss the fact the I miss him and that it has been seemingly impossible to be happy without him here. Knowing that he was my best friend and that he would always be on my side, made me brave. Seth made me brave. And now that he is gone, I have struggled to find myself without the anchor he was in my life. 

I guess all I want to say today, is that I love you Sethy, and I miss you. All I do is miss you. I can't wait to see you again boy, it will be a great day. 





6 comments:

Sharon said...

I miss him too Kate, but I'm sure he's not far away. Thank you for writing such a wonderful tribute to him. I love you. MOM

The Bairds said...

Ratty- that was an amazing tribute to a dear friend of yours! You have a way with words. It made me cry! I love ya girl! Your just as strong as you were before! The Lord will bless you in every way to help you get through this! LOVE YA!

Paige said...

I can't believe it has been a year. I remember so much about that week. I wish there was more I could do but I think even though I didn't know him very well he affected my life as well. You are lucky to have a best friend like Seth! He will always be with you!

Malerie said...

i loved it Kate. very well written. i miss him too. it sucks. it was good to see you so much this weekend, it sucks why i saw you so much this weekend though. nate loved hearing about our childhood... he still thinks i'm crazy.

love you.

Haley said...

you have a way with words neighbor.
that was an awesome post.
stay strong, girl. wish upon a star is still waiting to be watched, by the way.
love ya.

Celia said...

K-diddy,

I was thinking the one year mark was Wednesday. Thanks for setting me straight. Here I am, responding to your blog post at midnight, with a lump in my throat and a mind full of memories. I don't just cruise blogs at midnight Kate. I got bread to win tomorrow. I can't believe it's been a year, time moves too fast. Seth made everyone around him better. And he is still making us better because we realize how special he was and we want to be like him. Whenever I think of Seth I immediately get the feeling I should be doing everything in my life better. That is his legacy and that is what we have to keep doing to honor him.

You might not feel like it, but I know you're stronger than you were 366 days ago. You've been through one of the worst things a person can go through on this earth. But, your words on the river trip gave me the feeling that you have conquered the grief. I'm sure it will always be there to some degree, but after riding it hard for a year you have moved past it and are strong, confident and brave. That is what Seth was/is and that is what we should all be.

Scott