Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Congratulations President Barack Obama.


I know politics are a touchy subject. Believe me I know. I live in Provo, Utah of all places. Living in such a conservative state, I try to avoid any talk of politics. But today I feel inclined to say a little something regarding today's election results. 

Today Senator Barack Obama was elected to be President of the United States. Regardless of political parties, it was an historic day for America. Today we elected our first African-American President, a major breakthrough in U.S. history. Although it has been a tumultuous few years, I still feel so proud to be an American. Today was a big stepping stone toward equality. America was able to put race aside and elect the person they felt most suited for the job. When just decades ago people of other races didn't have the right to vote. We have come a long way. I sincerely hope the next four years will be better than the last. 

*I do not wish to argue over politics, so if you have a negative comment please keep it to yourself. This has nothing to do with political parties. Thank you.

11 comments:

Sharon said...

Kate--I loved your blog. I'm proud of your patriotism and your insightful view of the election. I agree with you completely and pray that our new president will be good for our wonderful country and it's people. I Love YOU. MOM

Anonymous said...

Sue Sue Darlin,
You said it all, and so beautifully. I'm enormously proud of you and your interest in, efforts to know and understand the issues,and recognize the differences. Your love of the principals our country was founded on, and the core tenets of our religious beliefs makes tremondously proud. You are an amazing young lady and do great honor to your family and progenitors. ILY Dad

Ally Cat said...

Well said Geety. It is pretty awesome to see how far we have come in regards to race in so few years.

Megs said...

Yay for Obama! Last night was great tv (usually I'd find it boring) and it was great to see history in the making! Thanks for posting something about this...Because I know most people are either too afraid or too conservative to care. :)

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

Gat-
You are very good with words.
Love, Reeb

Malerie said...

i love your disclamer.

Celia said...

Well, I for one am ashamed that you haven't been thoroughly brainwashed to know the difference between right and wrong. I mean seriously, democrats are Godless people ... at least that's what I heard.

NatureGirl said...

Well said Miss Kate...

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

Yeah I heard democrats are Godless too. How shall we ever survive Cel?

Cassie said...

Kate!! Holy fetch, I heart Barack Osama Obama, or whatever his middle name is.

rich said...

I only wish Utah was a little more blue. I like conservatives, but this year the right choice for president seemed too obviously Obama.

I don't think we should expect to see the tax hike conservatives worry about, and I will be happy to see what happens globally. Also, culturally I feel like Obama represents the beginning of a renaissance for America.