Thursday, February 12, 2009

This is the beef I have........

  
  VS.


Living in Salt Lake for a year and half now, I feel like I have a good grasp on things.  I know my way around,  I know it's a must to pick up after your dog, and I know that every week in church BYU will be mentioned with a negative connotation.  I've handled it under my breath for too long, I can't take it anymore! I understand rivalries, I do but in church, really?  Must we bring up "the school down south" as it is so lovingly referred to as, over the pulpit or in Sunday school?  Get off it already.  People HATE BYU up here, fine so be it I don't care, but when you are constantly bringing it up in church I want to scream "hey, it's a church school, your tithing money is going to it and if you forgot we are the same religion."  
If I used the term "I have a theory about this" I would use it right now: When I was attending the Y I RARELY heard anyone refer to the U ever, whether it be positively or negatively, it just wasn't talked about.  Not once did I hear the term, "the school up North" I don't think many people really cared.  I think the lack of caring comes from most of the students at the Y not being from Utah, they don't know about the U so why talk about it.  I didn't feel like anyone was there to prove their feelings for BYU or lack of feelings for the U, especially at church. Here in Salt Lake it's a whole different ball game, I hesitate to mention that I have a degree from BYU because of the flack I KNOW I will get.  Why so much hate? It makes me want to steal a line from the classy people who go on Maury "you don't know me, you don't even know me."  When people tell me they go to the U or graduated from the U I don't give them a hard time, share the love people.  That's all I ask, for a little less hate and a little more love.  
Holla if you hear me!!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Hola! I totally agree with you. -Thelma

Amy said...

Wow thats emberassing I wrote Hola, instead of Holla. I meant Holla, not the spanish word for Hello...
-Thelma

Gina said...

Holla at ya! Zach hates the peeps at the U who think they are cool wannabe "rebels." After we saw some obnoxious teenage driver sporting a HUGE U sign on their car, Zach said "I am beginning to hate these people around here!" haha It's almost like the whole Texan pride thing (nothing against Texas of course!)You know what I'm sayin'?

mbrown9 said...

I think that you should use the term "I have a theory" and form one. I would totally back you up. Let me know...I know a lot about the scientific method

becca said...

i totally hear you. i have had these thoughts many many times.

rich said...

I totally want to give a shout out to Gina's comments. I dislike it when people use the U of U as some kind of sign like they went to the rebel school, the cool school, or "real world" school.

Because here's the fact. I visited the University of Utah campus expecting it to be somehow cooler, more diverse, more like a classic American university. But in my opinion, the students looked just like students at UVSC. Not that that is bad, but the U of U does not have some magical juice that makes it rebellious.

I think BYU offers students the most diverse experience in Utah, personally. Becca, your wards reaction to BYU surely shows that they have an inferiority complex about the U of U.

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

Ya know Beck, I'm told I'm just UVU scum. So... I guess I don't get to have an opinion on this. But I hear ya sister.
Love,
Bayside Tigers

Ally Cat said...

"Theory people" = smart people.

Haley said...

HOLLA
(even though I hate the Y, I more hate the preoocupation with hating it in Salt Lake County)
You go girl, way to vent and have theories about things, and borrow lines from the class acts on Maury (and also, on occassion, Judge Judy)

neighbor

Haley said...

PS:
I'm UVU Scum, too. And damn proud.

Ally Cat said...

Hay Neigh, why the hate for BYU? We love you.