Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Inheritance

 
Inheriting things is bizarre.  I had never inherited anything besides physical and personality traits. Our adorable Grandpa C. passed away in April and my Grandma C. has been declining mentally for about 5 years now. It has been so hard to see them age. They embodied everything a grandparent should be and more. My best memories include my grandparents. I have never felt more love from 2 people. They had the ability to make you feel like you were IT, the best of everybody. I really miss them.

My grandma now lives in Bountiful in an assisted living center. Recently my parents and my aunt and uncle went down to Beaver and St. George to clean out my grandparent's houses. That was a feat in and of itself. These two were depression babies, which means they NEVER threw anything away! After the houses were cleaned out, my mom brought everything that needed to be divided up to Farmington.

It's an odd feeling to be excited about what you inherit and heartbroken to see my Grandma's things out of their proper place. Almost everything has a memory behind it. Someone picked up a wind chime and as soon as we heard that familiar sound of the Beaver door opening we all stopped dead in our tracks. It's amazing the memories that surface when you hear a certain sound. We had to get rid of the chime. Too sad.

After everything was divided, we all sat and stared at what we had inherited...heartbroken. Most things I received belong in a house, which I don't currently have.  For now, the piano and my grandma's china will stay boxed up. I did inherit my great grandmother's wedding ring, which is beautiful and so sentimental.

I would give it all back in a second if I could have my two grandparent's back, preferably at age 66.

-B

1 comment:

Bain Becomes a Master said...

Beautifully written. I really appreciate this post.