Sunday, May 12, 2013

Hey Moms...



I heard something today that I don't think I've ever thought about before, "you don't have to have children to be a mother." Today being Mother's Day, I've thought about all the women in my life that have made an impact on me or been a motherly figure at some point and there are a lot of women outside of my own mother who fill this description.  This is interesting to me, mostly because I myself am not technically a mother. As a teacher I feel like a mom a lot! I'm tying shoes, helping kids learn to read, teaching about sharing, helping to resolve disagreements, etc... From what I can tell, these are things that mothers do too. Some of these kids see me more than their own mothers. That is kind of heartbreaking but one of the reasons I wanted to be a teacher was because I wanted to have a fulfilling career, one where I felt like I was making a difference. Without a doubt, in my job I feel like I'm making a difference everyday, and a lot of that has to do with being a positive mother like figure to these wild little homies.

So if you yourself are not a mother, think about the people in your life who look up to you or come to you for help: nieces, nephews, coworkers, siblings, friends, etc...  In some way you are a mother to someone. Today is your day to celebrate, with or without your own children!
Now I don't feel so guilty and pathetic for buying myself a Hobo wallet for mother's day a couple years ago! Thanks Mom for telling me I'm a mother too, and insisting that I get the fudge passed out in church today, it was delicious!

No comments: