Monday, May 6, 2013

Man's Best Friend


Kate and I are pet people. Growing up we almost always had a pet, I feel like it's in our blood. Currently I have a bunny and Kate has two parakeets. These pets have been fun to have for two single girls, but they just haven't been what we have wanted them to be. You want pets that add something to your life besides extra work. My bunny, Bernadette Rose (Bernie), has moments when she's adorable and cuddly but on the whole she spends lots of time eating carpet and scratching people. The birds... don't even get me started on the birds, we'll just say that they are loud and messy among other things.

This week I have been dog sitting for my parents while they are out of town. It has actually been super enjoyable and relaxing. The house is so quiet and peaceful and Rrrosa is THRILLED when I get home from work everyday and take her up the mountain for her daily hike. This week has been unexpectedly therapeutic for me, and I think it is because Rrrosa adds so much to the people around her. Who doesn't want someone to greet them ecstatically upon return? Who doesn't want company on a hike? She makes me want to leave work early so I can rush home and see her deliriously happy face. The return on the investment into her is incalculable, she adds so much and requires very little. I guess my point in this is, dogs are the best. People that don't like dogs are missing out on something really great...those idiots. Sometimes I think about how it's unfair that most animals have such shorts lives; is it worth it to invest so much care and love into something that is inevitably going to break your heart in 12 short years? The conclusion I've come to is YES, without a doubt they are. This little gray bearded pup has brought so much joy to this family, the wonderful times will far outweigh the bowls of tears filled at her passing.

The bunny and the birds can go, but the dog stays!

No comments: