Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Awkward Stage


Today I went to my parents ward. It actually went smoother than it has in the past not too many of the usual horrifying questions, "Are you dating anyone?" "I have the perfect person for you, when are you free?" Hello, I'm 22 years old I'm not a spinster yet. Anyway, on the way out my perfect Farmington 20th ward Sunday was shot to hell. Kate and I were waiting for my Dad to get out of his meetings when a good family friend came up and started talking to us. Basically, this is how the self-esteem depleting conversation went, "How are you guys liking Provo?" I reply with, "Oh I'm actually living in Sugarhouse." She said, "Oh right you are graduated and working, well aren't you in an awkward stage of life right now." Excuse me....who are you to tell me I'm in an awkward stage? I tried to plead my case to her, "Well I do like having money and not having homework." She shot me down with, "Ya that's nice but everyone is always trying to set you up and get you married off." She continued on and on but all I kept hearing was awkward, awkward, awkward. Kate was loving every minute of this, as you can imagine. The conversation ended with this, "Gosh Becca, too bad I'm so great and you're so awkward." Kate's a smart aleck, shocker!

7 comments:

Ally Cat said...

B, I'm sorry have to agree with "Debbie Downer," but I'm living the same life you are right now and I have news for you...it is AWKWARD! Sure it's not like puberty, or your first kiss, but it is awkward, sorry.
P.S. I have someone I want to set you up with.

Two Ladies and No Baby said...

Ha ha. I love being the magical sister. Being the awkward sister must suck. I really wouldn't know, but it REALLY must suck. You're not in school and yet, you're not married. Hmmm...what went wrong there. The good news is, I still got a good year until I hit my awkward stage. And when I do hit that stage, at least I'll be wearing tie-dye. Holla!
-Kate
aka: magical sister

Haley said...

Wow, I'm super glad someone finally had the balls to tell you that you are in an AWKWARD stage. There's no hope for you until you're married.
I need to know who this neighbor of ours was.

mia said...

Move to the east coast ladies..it was the cure for the awkwardness!! hehe! (or at least there are hundreds of others enjoying the awkward stage with me) :)

Shauna said...

awkward and PROUD OF IT!

na said...

First I am fond of the fact that you matched this picture with this post. It's weird. Second, my parents have past the, "Are you.." and moved on to trying to troubleshoot what the problem is, which is worse. Third, I find single life in the 20's is great. 30's however I plan to take up crazy high risk activities my body can't support. Like moose fighting. Fourth, you should of fought that lady.

Ally Cat said...

I think my favorite part of this post is my chin in the picture. Moon face!