Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I now consider myself notorious for having pretty solid neighbors. Let me prove my point. Three years in Idaho Falls, my BFF Ronald Drake Williams lived just around the carner (corner). Becca's BFF Allyson Clare Zollinger lived right down the street. Do you even realize how awesome it is to call up your BFF to play and be over at their house playing in literally 60 seconds? Boy, was I an efficient kid. And boy, did Ronnie and I take our playing time seriously.


Example two: the sleepy little town (thanks Cori C.) of Farmington, Utah where I spent the majority of my childhood after moving away from the BIF (Big Idaho Falls). As a spunky little five-year-old feeling quite down about moving away from Ron-ski, I wasn't too psyched about F-town. Enter the Larsen family. I could be absolutely wrong about this fact, because experience tells me that five-year-old's don't have the clearest of memories, but I believe we bonded over conversations about some of our other neighbors and how they really weirded us out. I don't want to name any names, so let's just call them the Reece's and the Swoonover's. Holy, let's just say they were... whatever. Needless to say, it's nice having neighbors to borrow flour from or have Christmas movie nights in their sweet basement theater. Larsen's + Christensen's 4 Life.

Example c: Becca and I moved into a cute little town home in Sugarhouse. A few weeks later, we noticed some dudes moving in to the place across from us. I won't lie, initially we thought they were gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Then we thought, they couldn't be church people (because no one else in our town home "complex" goes to church...). Long story short... they borrowed our wireless internet one night, we were talking at church on Sunday, I didn't recognize them, we finally put it together that we were neighbors because our wireless name is "Ratfinks" and Becca and I will find any way we can to mention how we won the BYU Flag Football Intramural Championship (Go Finks!). And so began a beautiful relationship with our neighbors across the hall. I'm fresh outta Diet Coke? I take three steps to my neighbors and I'm in business. I don't even have to put shoes on! Or a jacket! I don't have to get in my car. I could crawl there if I had to. I could also yell really loud if I didn't want to get off the couch. Sometimes, we both keep our doors open so it's like our places are one giant apartment! Our internet is slow? No problem, we got our neighbors. We're outta milk? No big deal. We need a refill but don't feel like going out in the cold? Who cares?! Chances of our neighbors heading to the Maverick around the corner are high and they always bring us back the goods. Candy? They've got a 5 lb bag of Cinnamon Bears (Min Min Bears as we like to call them). Good neighbors are soooo dang awesome. Our Christmas Tree needs watering? No problem, our neighbor Nick has assigned himself this important job this holiday season. Keith needs a partner to play Modern Warfare 3 on the Playstation? I'll step right in and help a guy out (or hurt, last time I had 0 kills and died 40 times...). The cherry on top? Jason is an ER doctor so if Becca trips and cracks her head open on Hugh's cage? No problemo, homeboy will suture you right up. You're probably thinking it couldn't get any better, right? Well, you're wrong! Nick is into every show we're into and has also opened our eyes to new shows!!! Now that's love.

Who needs husbands when we've got neighbors.

Merry Christmas to us.

Magically,

Kate

Nick, Keith and Jason gettin' cozy in the front seat where Jason promptly said, "This just feels right."

4 comments:

Celia said...

Awesome. I especially loved the "just yell really loud" part because I wouldn't put it past ya. I really wouldn't.

Bain Becomes a Master said...

My question that would make this situation even better--Are they single? Even if they aren't marriage material, you could always pull the "If we're both not married by the time we are forty..." deal--especially considering one is a DOCTOR! ;)

Ally Cat said...

I wanna move in. Nick's brother is my neighbor but when I yell he doesn't run over with a bag of min mins.

mia said...

these guys were made to be your neighbors! so happy you found each other! :)